I have over a decade of experience as a Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician. Currently, I am a Lieutenant, Instructor, and Treasurer at the McCordsville Fire Department.
I am fortunate to have worked in all types and levels of departments, including:
- Rural/fully volunteer
- Combination (career + volunteer)
- City/municipal fire departments
My fire service career started in college. Indiana University (IU) required a certain number of credit hours in natural sciences, and the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) counted for these. So, instead of taking Biology, Chemistry, etc. I chose to take the EMT class, and obtained my State of Indiana Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (EMT-B) certification in 2008.
- From 2006 to 2008, I was a member of the Intra-Collegiate Emergency Medical Service (IC-EMS), which is a student group that provides non-transport, standby emergency medical coverage of university events.
- In 2008, I joined the Northern Monroe Fire Territory (NMFT) as a volunteer firefighter and EMT. It was at NMFT that I fell in love with the fire service. I am forever thankful to NMFT, its amazing instructors and fantastic training facility, for helping me discover this passion and assisting me in sharpening my skills.
- From 2008 to 2012, I served as both a volunteer and worked part-time staff at NMFT, filling in for career firefighters during time off. At NMFT, I became a Hazardous Materials Technician, served on NMFT’s Haz-Mat Team and was a member of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security’s District 8 Haz-Mat Render Safe Team.
- In 2009, I joined IU Health Bloomington Hospital Ambulance Service as a part-time EMT-B. Here I served as an EMT on an Advanced Life Support (ALS) transport ambulance. I was also a member of the department’s bicycle medic team, which was heavily utilized during Indiana University Football games, in order to provide quick response medical coverage in the tailgate fields and surrounding campus areas.
- From 2012 to 2016, I was as a volunteer Firefighter/EMT with PTFD. I was also the PTFD liaison to the Boone County Fire Investigation Task Force.
- From 2012 to 2016, I also served as a Reserve Firefighter/EMT with LFD. As a reserve, I was required to provide 24 hours per month on station, and respond to all-call pages as necessary. At LFD, I was also a member of the department’s Fire Investigation team, and was a member of the Boone County Fire Investigation Task Force.
Most recently, from 2016 to present, I have volunteered with McCordsville Fire Department (MCFD). I currently hold the rank of Lieutenant, and serve as the department’s Treasurer. I also am an MCFD training instructor, fire investigator, and a member of our Information Technology (IT) Committee.
I am incredibly thankful to the many different members of each of the departments noted above, including my Chiefs, officers, instructors, and fellow members. I would not be where I am in the fire and EMS service today without you all.
That said, I fully believe everyone in fire and EMS has a duty to pass along the knowledge and skills we’ve learned to the next generation. I am certified as an Indiana Fire Instructor II/III, so please feel free to reach out if you ever have a need for any courses, lectures, trainings, etc.
I can be reached via email at noah(at)mccordsvillefire.com.